יום שני, 24 במרץ 2014

Oracle BI Mobile for Android

At the risk of outing myself as an Android fanboy, I was glad that the wait for a BI Mobile App for my smart phone is over. After serving customers with a favor for pomaceous devices for quite a while, Oracle has recently published Oracle BI Mobile for Android on Google Play.


Of course, I couldn't resist and try it out myself. In the following I'd like to describe my findings.

Installation and Public Demo

As with all smartphone apps, installing the software is nice and easy.

Once launched, you find a predefined "Public Demo" connection which allows you to inspect various example dashboards and mobile applications. Indeed, the new BI Mobile Apps can be accessed simply by opening them from the catalog.

Here is a screenshot from one of the sample dashboards (Galaxy Nexus):


Browse and Search

Tapping the left menu icon allows you to browse recently opened items, list the favorites or use the BI catalog. In addition, there is a central search box which also supports the Google-backed speech input which mysteriously even handles my Austrian accent ;-)

Connections

After selecting Connections in the app menu (top right corner), new server connections can be added by tapping the "plus" icon on the bottom of the list.

Let's try to connect to the hosted version of the glorious BI Sample App V309:


Yay! Connection established. While it might be better to use a somewhat bigger screen type such as a tablet, my smartphone gave me access to all the nice demo analyses and BI Publisher reports (which are btw downloaded as PDF immediately).

Here is another final screenshot for your reference:


Documentation

A new guide for BI Mobile for Android has been added to the BI Mobile Products documentation library.

Summary

I must confess, I tend to favor browser-based mobile solutions like BI Mobile Apps Designer over native apps for many reasons, one of which is the immediate availability on all devices. But enterprise apps like Oracle BI Mobile - now available for both Android and Apple devices - definitely seem to have a prosperous future ahead as they provide secure access to generic analytic content such as analyses, dashboard or BI Publisher reports without having to create a specific type of object.

have a nice day

@lex

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה